Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Story

Welcome to Everyday Atkins! Off the bat I would like to say that I am not currently following the Atkins Nutritional Approach. So what is the point of this blog? To document my entire journey. My intent is to demonstrate the Atkins solution as it effects the everyday, normal, typical and average American. Well, I'm assuming I'm a normal American:
  • I drink lots of coffee with sugared creamer
  • I devour cookies and ice cream
  • I crave food all the time
  • I love food!
  • I experience fluctuating weight
  • I feel depressed about my weight
  • I eat too much fast food
  • I realize that I should eat more healthy, but often lack the will-power.
  • I make changes in my diet, but eventually go back to my old habits

In January of 2007 I joined a group of online friends in a Biggest Loser Digi-Style challenge (a group of digital scrapbookers) and through their support and weekly challenges lost 25 pounds. My starting weight was 180 and I was down to 155 by that summer. I exercised regularly, watched calories and incorporated healthy habits, such as cutting out bedtime snacking. I felt fantastic.

I have not lost any weight since that summer. I gained 5 pounds over the holidays and have been losing and gaining those same 5 pounds ever since.

I am frustrated. I still crave food all the time, and eat too much of it. I am mostly bored with my workouts and feel like a failure when I don't meet my weekly challenges (yes, our group still meets online daily).

I have, of course, heard a lot about Atkins over the last 10 years. I have always said I disagree with the philosophy that cutting out carbs and eating more fat and protein is unhealthy. I now find this quite humorous as I have never investigated the plan for myself.

Feeling ready for a change I started researching the Atkins approach about a week and a half ago. I ordered the book and have been reading it over the last 24 hours. I will admit that I'm one of those people that believes nearly everything she reads, but this really does make sense. I'm still finding it difficult to change my knee-jerk reaction about fats and health, but I went into it open-minded anyway.

I am, at this point, more or less convinced. I say that with some reservation because the proof is in the pudding, right?

So, if you are considering Atkins, this may be a good resource for you. Even if you are already on the Atkins plan, it's always nice to read about other people like you. I am a typical person who likes normal foods, has normal kids with normal eating habits. I will be learning a lot, and if you're new to this, we can learn together.

Before I being the Atkins approach want to see my doctor for a full check-up. I am 30 years old and have never had a full examination. That's probably typical as well. I want to have my cholesterol and blood sugar checked. After that I will be ready to go!

No comments: